Hello Central Region - Girls Minor Softball Players, Coaches and Organizations,
Softball Manitoba has approved the restructuring of the minor divisions by adding the AA category. The three categories that now exist are:
1. A community level, formerly referred to as B,
2. AA regional teams and
3. AAA high performance, formerly referred to as A.
Requests from players and parents for more skill development opportunities and a higher level of competition has steadily increased over the years. We believe that this AA category will help fill the gap.
In the AA category, each Region is able to form up to three teams (depending on numbers and competitiveness) per age group, per Region. Decisions on the number and locations of teams, the process to formulate teams, as well as any fees to pay, will be structured and implemented at the discretion of the Central Region AA Board/Committee - which is yet to be formed.
The continued strength and success of softball at the A (community) level is of the utmost importance to Softball Manitoba. The grassroots level is the growth of our sport. To ensure this, players must register and play on an A level community team in order to be eligible to try out for an AA team. Furthermore, AA teams will be restricted in day of practice, play and tournaments from the beginning of the season until the respective age category provincials are complete. The AA teams may offer practices, exhibition games and up to two tournaments only on the specified days during the season up to the end of A category provincials. This is to ensure that players are not conflicted where a player chooses to participate in both A and AA. No restrictions are in place following the respective A provincial. The hope is to host an AA provincial in August for each category.
We need Central Region volunteers to help get the structure in place, to oversee and help sustain this program into the future.
The link below is a map of the boundaries of Central Region. If you live within the boundaries you play “AA” in Central Region.
We are looking for volunteers for the following positions:
Duties would include:
- Organize Committee Members
- Develop a Constitution (Based on the existing constitution for AAA and A, modified as appropriate)
- Organize and Hold Tryouts for “AA” Minor Softball for Central Region in the month of May
- Determine team(s) for the extended season for each age group U12 (2009 - 2010), U14 (2007 - 2008), U16 (2005 - 2006) & U19 (2002, 2003 & 2004), (depending on number of players interested and promoting competition).
- Determine Coaches and Assistant Coaches
Coach(s) & Assistant Coach(s)
Duties would include:
- Responsible for 1 Regional Team
- Determining a budget
For equipment, balls, umpires, diamonds, uniforms etc.
- Promoting skills, development and fun
Please be sure to include what age group you are interested in, your contact information (including address, birthdate) as well as your qualifications, certifications, Respect in Sport number and your NCCP number.
HERE is a bit more information about the AA program